Thursday, October 25, 2012

Slow-braised Goat Shoulder

Friday, 19th October 2012
At an Apple Fair in England the previous weekend, we picked up all kinds of interesting food, including this piece of goat shoulder, weighing about 750g.
One day before I browned the meat and set it aside, then softened celery onion carrot and garlic. I added with veal stock and a little sherry vinegar to the veg and then put it all in the slow cooker to braise for about 3 or 4 hours. I let it cool overnight and skimmed off most of the fat from the top.
When we were ready to eat, I warmed it again for an hour or two, careful not to let it boil. Meanwhile I cooked roast potatoes and leeks, roasted in the reserved fat, and bok-choy quickly braised in a little soy and Maderia. I strained the veg from the braising liquid and reduced it for gravy.
The meat was perfect - falling off the bone and with a delicious rich flavour. It was quite a bit for two, but so good it was impossible to leave any. The vegetables were also delicious and an ideal combination. The Louis Roederer champagne was pretty good too!

No comments:

Post a Comment